Being in high school I know a thing or two about testing anxiety. I have it, my boyfriend has it, my bestfriends have it and like every normal student ever has it. It is the feeling you get when you’re overwhelmed and suddenly your whole life depends on this one test. It is the stage where most people psyche themselves out. I wish I had the cure to all types of anxieties but sadly I do not. I can, however, tell you what I do.
- recongnize that I can not get work done if I can’t focus properly
- drink Ice cold water (to rehydrate from all of the crying)
- LEAVE the room I am studying in. (recommend going outside)
- grab brain food
- rant to somebody you know who will make you laugh and motivate you
- accept the fact that at this point you either know it or you don’t
- never sacrifice sleep, all nighters are an ALL around bad idea
- reprogram your way of thinking to “I can’t fail” to “if I fail, I will fix it and get it right next time”
- study in a way that works for you
All nighters are an all around bad idea.
If you cannot stay awake to take the test what is the point in staying up to study for it anyway, all nighters just weaken your mind for the test and exhausts your body. If you are a performer or an athlete, think; would you stay up all night the night before rehearsing your lines or running the drills? I hope the answer is no, because if you stay up you are more likely to forget your lines or your play.
You see, tests are not supposed to be as stressful as they are. Test are just to show off what we know (or don’t know). They are meant to be learned from, not to be destroyed by.
Testing anxiety is all about perspective, and the hardest part is getting out of your head and taking a breath to gather yourself again.
Your worth is not determined by the letter or number on top of a test!!
check out this link for a few tips for before and during a test.